HD365 Doctor/Patient Communication App

HD365 Mobile App Screenshots



Class project for HCDE 518: User-Centered Design in Fall 2016. Part of the Master’s level User Centered Design certificate at the University of Washington.


Appointments are short, leaving doctors and patients with little time to work together to address patient health problems.


Over the course of 12 weeks, we researched, ideated, prototyped, tested and reported on a potential solution that would allow doctors and patients to communicate better and improve patient health outcomes.


  • Vlad Karakusevic
  • Kyle Kelly
  • Samantha Muscat-Scherr
  • Lorraine Sawicki

my contributions

  • Collaborated in planning research methods
  • Worked with another team member to write and deploy a 29-question survey over social media. We then reviewed and interpreted the results together.
  • Divided project deliverables up into smaller milestones, devised timelines, and coordinated group schedules to ensure timely task completion.
  • Wrote and designed personas
  • Created mood boards and initial designs
  • Designed screens and created interactive prototype using Invision
  • Compiled and wrote sections of the Design Specification, created annotated UI section and formatted document



We chose to gather information about the problem and our potential users through three different methods – a review of existing research, interviews of healthcare providers and an exploratory survey.

My teammate Lorraine and I composed a survey of 28 questions to discover what pain points existed in their primary care visits and communication with their doctors.

We synthesized the data we had collected into personas representing primary and secondary stakeholders of our product. As a group, we decided which personas were needed. Then I wrote the descriptions and designed the layouts.


With our users and stakeholders defined, it was time to determine which features were most likely to be important to them. We got together and began sketching, with results ranging from practical to outlandish. From there we whittled our ideas down to the ones we thought were most vital.

In preparation for building our prototype, we gathered a selection of images to evoke the desired look and feel of the product and started playing around with initial designs and color schemes


I designed over 80 screens and states and used Invision to create a medium-fidelity prototype.


We had 6 potential users run through our prototype and give us feedback, which we then used to revise our prototype and plan possible future directions.

presentation & report

Download complete design specification (PDF)

We prepared a design specification document with all the information that would be required to hand the project off to a development team. I wrote portions of the content, created an annotated UI, and designed and formatted the final document.


With the end of the course, we don’t plan to develop this application any further. However, there are many real world projects with a similar focus that I will watch with interest in the future.

Skills: UX
Client: UW UCD Certificate - HCDE 518